From the press release:
Embark on a musical trek through a nearly lost world with Guy Mendilow Ensemble’s "The Forgotten Kingdom". Journey through former Ottoman lands starting in Sarajevo and winding through Salónica in a narrative-driven performance reimagining the historical record of Sephardic communities of the Balkans and Mediterranean.
In this sweeping adventure brought to life by an "international tour-de-force" (Bethlehem Morning Call) from the Middle East, South and North America, music and storytelling conjure animagi-nation lost to war, recorded in a language that blends archaic Spanish with Turkish and Greek. The bittersweet yearning of fado, the rhythmic and emotional intensity of flamenco combine with cinematic arrangements stirring those familiar with the culture and those new to it.
Rendering stories and songs of an older age with drama, humour and heart, The Forgotten Kingdom finds highly resonant, deeply moving connections to contemporary struggles, debates, and dilemmas. It’s a performance that "explodes with artistry, refinement, and excitement" (Hebrew Union College, OH).
Read the full press release at guy.rockpaperscissors.biz/dispatch/pu/23087.
To learn more about the project, visit guymendilowensemble.com.
Fall Tour Dates
- 10.11 Maryville TN @ Clayton Center for the Performing Arts (Lecture & Masterclass)
- 10.12 Maryville TN @ Clayton Center for the Performing Arts
- 10.30 - 11.1 Sheridan WY @ Wyo Theatre (Songwriting Residency)
- 11.2 Sheridan WY @ Wyo Theatre
- 11.3 Gambier OH @ Kenyon College (Lecture & Masterclass)
- 11.4 Gambier OH @ Kenyon College
- 11.5 Belafontaine OH @ Holland Theatre
- 11.7 - 10.8 Urbana IL @ Krannert Center for the Performing Arts (Educational Shows)
- 11.9 Urbana IL @ Krannert Center for the Performing Arts
- 11.10 - 11.11 Petrolia ON @ Ontario Contact
- 11.16 Hartford CT @ Charter Oak Cultural Center
- 11.17 Storrs Center CT @ Von Der Mehden Recital Hall (Lecture & Masterclass)
- 11.29 Wellesley MA @ Wellesley College
- 11.30 Cambridge MA @ Club Passim
- 12.11 - 12.13 Boston MA @ Sumner School (Songwriting Residency)
- 12.16 Boston MA @ Kroc Center (Celebrity Series)